A family picnic in the park when the weather is good is always a special experience. Why not? A lazy afternoon outdoors with your partner and kids and pets and good home cooked food - what's not to love?
Here are some easy recipes to put together and bring to your next family picnic. Children love them too! Try them out and tell us what you think.
MUFFINS WITH BACON AND EGGS
- 6 slices of streaky bacon
- 6 large or 7 medium eggs
- 100g / 1.5 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon dried herb mix
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Fill each hole in a 6-cavity muffin pan with a square of parchment paper.
- Line each of the cups in the muffin tin with a slice of streaky bacon and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Crack the eggs on the side of a large bowl and whisk in the bowl with a fork. Add the cheese, dried and fresh herbs and pepper and stir again. Pour the egg mixture into the muffin cases on top of the bacon and divide evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until muffins are set and beginning to brown on top.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
We all love a good potato salad! This classic is a hit for all generations - adjust the spice and vinegar level to suit your kids' spice tolerance.
- 2 kg potatoes, unpeeled
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons vinegar or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Then add a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat to a minimum and simmer for about 20 minutes. Drain; Let the potatoes cool slightly. Peel and slice the potatoes. Mix the potatoes and onions in a bowl, stir in the mustard, salt and black pepper.
- Bring the vegetable stock to the boil in a small saucepan, pour over the potato mixture and stir to combine. Stir in vinegar and let sit for 10 minutes. Add vegetable oil and season with salt and black pepper if desired.
STRAWBERRIES & CREAM CHEESE CAKE JARS
- 200g Butterkekse
- 200g cream cheese
- 200ml cream
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 500g strawberries, halved or quartered
- 8 jars with lids
- In a food processor or in a bowl with the end of a rolling pin, crush the cookies into crumbs. Divide the biscuit crumbs among the glasses.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, heavy cream, 5 tablespoons powdered sugar and vanilla extract until soft. Place half the strawberries and the remaining sugar in another bowl and mash with a fork to form a puree. Stir the puree through the cream and divide between the glasses. Sprinkle each cheesecake with remaining strawberries, secure lids and refrigerate jars until ready to wrap. Transport in a cool bag.
Try it out and let us know how your next picnic was!